What type of stroller do you need for travel? Selecting the stroller which suits your style best is a difficult task as they come in various types and brands. Is the stroller you are looking for is comfortable for the baby and accomplishes its purpose? Do you need a travel system, convertible, or jogging stroller?
Types of Strollers and Their Travel Competency
The full-size stroller is usable from the birth-day of your child to their toddling age. Its smaller wheels ensure precise steering, whereas the larger wheel provides stability. You can also convert some full-size strollers into double ones by purchasing a second seat.
A full-size stroller is comfortable with lots of space. It is suitable for newborn to 3+ age groups.
- Full-size strollers are compatible with bassinets or car seats for infants.
- They are durable and easy to handle.
- They have excellent storage space.
- Full-size strollers are heavier and pose difficulty while folding them.
- They are troublesome for quick travel and trips.
Mid Size Stroller
A mid-size stroller is lighter and smaller and contains more features as compared to lightweight strollers. They allow car seat compatibility and have larger back wheels for better maneuvering. Mid-size strollers are suitable for the age limit of a newborn to 3+. Families with small storage areas preferred these types. This stroller is also popular among families that often travel or make short trips throughout the year.
- Mid-size strollers are compatible with bassinets or car seats for infants.
- These are more compact and lighter in weight than a full-size stroller.
- They are sturdier and easy to maneuver as compare to a lightweight stroller.
- Mid-size strollers have less storage space in comparison with full-size strollers.
- These strollers are bulky and heavier as compared to lightweight strollers
Lightweight strollers are compact, which ultimately becomes its selling point. They are also known as umbrella strollers due to their folding ability. Most families prefer lightweight strollers with full-size or mid-size for quick travel and trips. Lightweight strollers are suitable for children 6 months or older.
- Lightweight strollers weigh half of a normal baby stroller.
- They are compact as they can be folded easily.
- These strollers require infant car seats for babies younger than 6 months. Also, not all lightweight stroller models are compatible with the infant car seat.
- They lack the comfortability feature as they have a smaller seat, and their smaller wheels ensure less maneuverability.
- Their storage space is limited.
Convertible strollers are most popular with families. You can change a single convertible stroller to a double one by adding a second seat. Some of the convertible strollers’ models can hold three kids with the simple addition of a skateboard-like piece, which allows the older kid to stand on it.
Families can use it as a single and double stroller. Convertible strollers are suitable for the age limit of newborns to 3+.
- Convertible strollers eliminate the need to buy a double stroller.
- They are compatible with bassinets and infant car seats.
- Many convertible stroller models have reversible seats. This feature allows the children to face each other or forward.
- It has uneven weight distribution. This makes the convertible stroller challenging to turn.
- They allow limited leg space for back passengers.
Side by Side Double Stroller
Side by side double strollers is built for two children. They feature identical seats, which can be used as a substitute for the infant car seat. Families having twins or close-age children prefer side by side double strollers. These strollers are suitable for children of 6 months and above age.
- Side by side double strollers have evenly distributed weight features as compared to a convertible stroller. This makes their movements easy and smooth.
- They make it easy for parents to watch and talk to children. In other words, it strengthens the parent-children interaction.
- Side-by-side double strollers are challenging to manage while fitting through door frames or navigating grocery aisles, sidewalks, or other such tight spaces.
- Not all models of side-by-side double strollers provide infant car seat compatibility.
Jogging strollers make it possible to include children in your daily fitness routine. It features an adjustable handlebar, large air-filled tires, shock-absorbing suspension, and a hand brake. It ensures high stability with its swiveling front wheel during running.
Jogging strollers are popular among active families that take kids with them during a run or hike trip. They are suitable for kids 6-9 months old or above.
- They are suited for everyday strolls and can be used on rugged terrain or trails.
- It supports 70+ pound weight capacity for years of use.
- There is a high chance that the air-filled tires might go flat.
- They are heavy and bulky for daily use.
Buying a stroller for your kid is a big decision. It impacts your routine, carrying the baby from place to place. In the end, it comes down to personal preference and family needs. Whether you are traveling or planning an outing, go with the stroller that best suits your needs. Your baby’s comfortability is the most important priority while shopping for a new stroller so choose the one that makes your life comfortable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is a travel stroller necessary?
A. Need for a travel stroller depends upon your situation. It is not necessary to have a travel stroller just because your baby needs to take a nap. There are several other options available for you to serve the purpose. You can always rely upon the carrier while the baby is asleep. However, a travel stroller is a good option as it can be used when the child can no longer fit into the car seat. If you are opting for a travel stroller, try to invest in a full-size stroller, as it can serve as a universal car seat.
Q. Are there safety issues to worry about?
A. Safety is a prime concern for every parent. When you buy a stroller, ensure that it meets the safety standards. For instance, if you purchase an umbrella stroller, ensure that it has safety straps and harnesses for the baby’s head and body. Also, go through the stroller’s manual to know about its size and weight limits before investing in one. You can check this information with the manufacturer or the seller.